Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Got You Babe

'"Don't let them say your hair's too long.." ~Sonny and Cher
This morning I was updating my status on facebook.  Four years ago today we brought Jemberu home, that makes today his 'Gotcha day'.  I felt a tiny pang of self-consciousness as I posted about Jem's special day.  If you are not a member of the adoption community (or if you didn't read my post a couple of years ago about this subject), the term 'Gotcha day' is actually controversial. Some think it is disrespectful toward adoptees, that it sounds more like acquiring a possession than welcoming a new child, that it is insensitive to birth parents or sounds like an expression of gloating.

The controversy over this expression seems ridiculous and overly sensitive. Yet, I know it offends some people.  There are adoptive parents that I know and respect that are appalled by the term.  I don't want to offend them or have them think that I am insensitive, but I really love 'Gotcha day'.  For our family, it's perfect.

Maybe part of the reason I love it so much is that I use the term 'gotcha' quite a bit in my day to day life.  When someone is explaining something to me I often say, " I gotcha" to express understanding.  When one of my children is hurt, crying, or scared I have found myself whispering in their ears, "don't worry, it's okay, I gotcha."

During the day today, I thought about writing this post.  I wanted to express why I like 'Gotcha day' so much. I didn't know if I could explain how perfect it is to celebrate a child getting a family and a family getting a child.  'Gotcha day' to us is just what it says, the day we got you. The day you got us. I realized that I don't have to find the words. I could just sing them. Sonny and Cher already said it best.


Don't let them say your hair's too long
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong
Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb


Babe
 I got you babe
I got you babe



I got you to hold my hand
I got you to understand
I got you to walk with me
I got you to talk with me
I got you to kiss goodnight
I got you to hold me tight
I got you, I won't let go
I got you to love me so

I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe








5 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful to me! Wish I had a Gotcha Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jem has a smile that can light up the darkness.Congrats to you and your family! BK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never liked "Gotcha Day". However, I totally get why you do. Thanks for the alternate perspective!!

    ReplyDelete